What Is Emergency?
An unexpected and usually dangerous situation that calls for immediate action.
What Is Evacuation?
By the definition itself, it is cleared that in an unexpected and dangerous situation peoples (Lives) may face difficulties to quit the dangerous place himself and reach nearest designated safe place immediately.
Evacuation can be again categorized by different mean: a) Person (Live) can exit himself without any further help / assistance and b) Exit by additional help / assistance (Rescue).
Factors that needs to be consider during Emergency Evacuation:
- Emergency Plan/s
- Travel Distance
- Travel Route/s
- Lighting and Signage
- Environmental or the person Condition/s
General arrangements for Emergency / Rescue Operation:
- Fire Watcher / Warden and/or Emergency Rescue Team (E.R.T.)
- Emergency Condition Handling Equipments including Breathing Apparatus.
- Special arrangements (Rope or Ladder).
- Fire Detection and Alarm System
- Public Address System
- Assembly Point/s
- Roll Call
- Emergency Contact Board
- First Responder
- First Aid
- Information, Instruction and Training
Fire Emergency condition may not give notice prior its happen. Preparedness is the only way to reduce casualties / death in the event of fire accident. Fire is a spontaneous chemical chain reaction with require amount of fuels, oxygen in presence of heat.
General causes of fire:
- Electrical Equipments
- Deliberate Fire
- Hot Work
- Heating and Cooking Appliances
- Unsafe Condition of Handling or Storage of Flammable Materials
- Chemical Reaction
- Mechanical Heat
- Fire itself can burn which is less probable danger than its by-products in an fire accident, i.e.: poisonous smoke and fume.
Impact of Fire Accident:
- Direct Burn Injury
- Inhalation of poisonous smokes, gasses and fumes can block / damage our respiratory system which is fatal.
- Ingestion of poisonous micro particles, gases can also disorder our digestion system.
- In the case of explosion or detonation, fatal casualties can be seen.
Prevention is better than Cure. We shall not wait for an accident, can create a safe living practice.